Historic Chattahoochee Commission

|  Tours  | |  Calendar  | |  Folklife Project  | |  Lodging/Food  | |  Resources  | |  Contact/About  | |  Store  | |  Home  | |  Return to Graphic Site  |
Any page text will be shown below the Submenu.

Tours Submenu


The Frontier South region of the Chattahoochee Trace is famous for antebellum mansions, century-old oaks and reminders of the area’s Indian heritage. Visitors will be enthralled by a variety of architectural showplaces, unparalleled scenic beauty as well as Indian mounds and a modern-day Indian memorial. A futuristic visitor center explores the frontiers of the nuclear age by telling the story of energy from prehistoric times until the present. In addition, this region boasts the world’s largest peanut experiment station which is on the cutting edge of new agricultural frontiers. The tranquil waters of the Chattahoochee River, Lake Eufaula/George and Lake George W. Andrews beckon outdoor enthusiasts to this unspoiled area. A wide assortment of recreational facilities, architectural treasures and interpretive displays offers unparalleled fun and excitement for the inquisitive traveler.

The below attractions may be seen during a period of one-and-one-half days with Fort Gaines or Blakely, Georgia, serving as the lodging and restaurant base for the tour.

Historic Chattahoochee Commission

Frontier South Tour

Day 1

1.  Fort Gaines Frontier Village

Partial replica of frontier fort established in 1814. Log cabins and grist and cane mills are exhibited here. Open daily. Off GA 39, Fort Gaines, Georgia.

Location/Contact:
GA HWY 39
Fort Gaines, GA
Website: http://www.fortgaines.com/
Click here for photo
Click here for photo


2.  Otus Micco Statue

This handcrafted 18-foot-tall oak statue is a memorial to the Creek Indians. Fort Gaines Frontier Village overlooking the Chattahoochee River and GA 37/AL 10.

Location/Contact:
Fort Gaines Frontier Village
Fort Gaines, GA
Website: http://www.fortgaines.com/


3.  Confederate Cannon

Still in its original emplacement, this 1863 cannon guarded approaches by Union forces up the Chattahoochee River. Situated near Fort Gaines Frontier Village, off GA 39, Fort Gaines, Georgia.

Location/Contact:
Fort Gaines, GA
Website: http://www.fortgaines.com/


4.  Clay County Courthouse*
*Listed on the National Register of Historic Places

Completed in 1871, this is the oldest courthouse in the Pataula circuit and is the only Georgia courthouse built to resemble an antebellum plantation house. Historical marker. Washington Street, Fort Gaines, Georgia.

Location/Contact:
Washington Street
Fort Gaines, GA
Website: http://www.hwy27.com/clay.html
Click here for photo


5.  Dill House*
*Listed on the National Register of Historic Places

Built by John Dill, military aide to General Edmund Pendleton Gaines, about 1827. Later remodeled and used as a hotel. Open by appointment only. Washington Street, Fort Gaines, Georgia.

Location/Contact:
Fort Gaines, GA
Website: http://www.fortgaines.com/
Click here for photo


6.  New Park Cemetery and Gazebo

This beautifully proportioned pavilion was built in 1880 by the Fort Gaines Improvement Society. It stands over an Indian mound which dates back to A.D. 200. Off GA 37, Fort Gaines, Georgia.

Location/Contact:
GA HWY 37
Fort Gaines, GA
Website: http://www.fortgaines.com/


7.  Old Pioneer Cemetery

This was the first established cemetery in Fort Gaines. The earliest death date on a stone marker is 1830. General John Dill and his family are found in an enclosed lot. Reverend John E. Brown, second president of the University of Georgia, and his wife are interred in this graveyard. Many early settlers, both black and white, are buried here in unmarked graves. Historical marker. Carroll Street, Fort Gaines, Georgia.

Location/Contact:
Carroll Street
Fort Gaines, GA
Website: http://www.fortgaines.com/


8.  Walter F. George Lock and Dam

The second highest lock lift east of the Mississippi River. Lock and dam access is through the Clay County side of the dam. Powerhouse access (tours by appointment only) is through the Henry County, Alabama side of the dam. 1 mile north of Fort Gaines, Georgia off GA 39.

Location/Contact:
GA HwY 39
Fort Gaines, GA
Website: http://sam.usace.army.mil/op/rec/wfg/
Click here for photo


9.  Walter F. George Resource Manager's Office

Interpretive center with displays and brochures helps orient visitors to Fort Gaines, Lake Eufaula/George and the surrounding area. Open Monday-Friday year-round and Saturday and Sunday from March to October. 2 miles north of Fort Gaines on GA 39.

Location/Contact:
GA HWY 39
Fort Gaines, GA
Website: http://www.sam.usace.army.mil/op/rec/wfg/


10.  Lake Walter F. George Lodge at George Bagby State Park

Facilities include a lodge, conference center, restaurant, marina, swimming pool, tennis courts and five cottages. 4 miles north of Fort Gaines, Georgia off GA 39.

Location/Contact:
GA HWY 39
Fort Gaines, GA
Website: http://www.georgiastateparks.com/


11.  Lake Eufaula/Walter F. George

With over 640 miles of shoreline, 45,180 acres and 23 public use areas, this lake is noted for its great bass fishing and recreational opportunities.

Location/Contact:
GA
Click here for photo


12.  Andrew College*
*Listed on the National Register of Historic Places

Its charter, granted by the Georgia Legislature in 1854, is the second oldest in the U.S. giving a college the authority to confer degrees upon women. Historical marker. US 82, Cuthbert, Georgia.

Location/Contact:
US HWY 82
Cuthbert, GA
Website: http://www.southwestgeorgiachamber.com/
Click here for photo


13.  Fletcher Henderson House*
*Listed on the National Register of Historic Places

This house, built in 1888, was the home of the late Fletcher Hamilton Henderson who was the leading black educator in Cuthbert for 64 years, and it was also the home of famous jazz musician Fletcher H. Henderson, Jr. Private residence. Historical marker. Andrew Street, Cuthbert, Georgia.

Location/Contact:
Andrew Street
Cuthbert, GA


14.  Early County Courthouse*
*Listed on the National Register of Historic Places

Constructed in 1904-1905, the two-and-one-half story building sits in the center of a four-acre square. It features solid granite columns with a traditional dome and clock tower. Historical marker. US 27, GA 39 and 62 in downtown Blakely, Georgia.

Location/Contact:
US HWY 27/GA HWY 39/GA HWY 62
Blakely, GA
Website: http://www.hwy27.com/early.html
Click here for photo
Click here for photo
Click here for photo


15.  Confederate Flagpole and Peanut Monument

On the north side of the Early County Courthouse lawn, visitors may see the only Confederate flagstaff still standing. Nearby is the only peanut monument of its kind in the United States. Historical marker.

Location/Contact:
Courthouse Square
Blakely, GA
Website: http://www.hwy27.com/early.html


16.  Kolomoki Mounds State Historic Park*
*Listed on the National Register of Historic Places

This National Historic Landmark features a temple mound, one of the largest Indian mounds east of the Mississippi River. Facilities include swimming pool, picnic area, boat ramp, fishing lake and pier, miniature golf, grouped pioneer camping and museum. 6 miles north of Blakely, Georgia off US 27.

Location/Contact:
US HWY 27
Blakely, GA
Website: http://www.georgiastateparks.com/
Click here for photo


17.  Coheelee Creek Covered Bridge*
*Listed on the National Register of Historic Places

This is the most southernly located "kissin" bridge in the United States. It was constructed in 1891. 9 miles southwest of Blakely off GA 62 on Old River Road, near Hilton, Georgia.

Location/Contact:
Old River Road
Hilton, AL
Website: http://www.blakelyearlychamber.com/
Click here for photo


Day 2

18.  Farley Nuclear Visitors Center

THIS FACILITY HAS CLOSED PERMANENTLY.

Location/Contact:
AL HWY 95
Columbia, AL
Website: http://southerncompany.com/


19.  Purcell-Killingsworth House*
*Listed on the National Register of Historic Places

Completed in 1890, this imposing Victorian mansion was the boyhood home of Bishop Clare Purcell. He was elected President of the Council of Bishops, the highest place of recognition ever achieved by a native-born Alabama Methodist minister. Historical marker. Private residence. North Main Street, Columbia, Alabama.

Location/Contact:
North Main Street
Columbia, AL
Click here for photo


20.  Old Columbia Jail

This ca. 1862 wooden jail has walls studded with spikes every two inches. Historical marker. North Street, Columbia, Alabama.

Location/Contact:
North Street
Columbia, AL
Click here for photo


21.  Lake George W. Andrews

This 1,500-acre impoundment is a fisherman’s and boater’s paradise. Seven recreational facilities are located along its 65 miles of shoreline.

Location/Contact:
AL
Website: http://sam.usace.army.mil/op/rec/wfg/


22.  Kennedy House*
*Listed on the National Register of Historic Places

Ca. 1840, one-and-one-half story, Creole cottage is unusual for this section of the state. Serves as headquarters for the Abbeville Chamber of Commerce. Open Monday, Wednesday and Friday. Historical marker. 300 Kirkland Street, Abbeville, Alabama.

Location/Contact:
300 Kirkland Street
Abbeville, AL
Click here for photo


23.  Abbeville United Methodist Church

Completed in 1896 and features the original bell and belfry as well as parquet ceiling and hand-finished beams. Historical marker. Doswell Street, Abbeville, Alabama.

Location/Contact:
Doswell Street
Abbeville, AL
Click here for photo


24.  Blue Springs State Park

Facilities include 50 improved campsites, comfort stations, picnic area, play area, refreshments, swimming and tennis. Campsites have water, electrical hookups, grills, dumping station and bathhouse. 6 miles east of Clio, Alabama on AL 10.

Location/Contact:
AL HWY 10
Clio, AL
Website: http://www.dcnr.state.al.us/


25.  Auburn University Peanut Experiment Station

World’s largest peanut experiment station (600 acres). Major portion of the Auburn University School of Agriculture. Visitors welcomed. Open daily except Sunday. US 431, Headland, Alabama.

Location/Contact:
US HWY 431
Headland, AL