Historic Chattahoochee Commission.
search»  Site Search link. site index»  Site Index link. home»  Link to home page.
HCC graphic. Historic Markers » Alabama HCC graphic.

Click on the county below you wish to view.
Small map of Chattahoochee Trace counties.
Henry County, Alabama»
1. Chattahoochee River Crossing
 
Location: Located near the McKemie Bridge on Alabama Highway 10, fourteen miles east of Abbeville, Alabama.
Marker Dedication or Erection Date:  February 11, 1979
Marker Text: 
First settler crossings were made here prior to 1817 on a log ferry operated by Robert Irwin. First bridge built by Prescott and Bemis and destroyed by flood of 1855. Second wooden covered bridge was completed in 1869 by ex-slave Horace King. Third was the Henry-Clay cantilever bridge opened in 1925. Fourth is the present McKemie Bridge opened in 1973. This river was the number one highway for local prehistorical man long before Christ. Erected by the Historic Chattahoochee Commission and the Henry County Historical Society, 1978.

2. Cureton Bridge Post Office
 
Marker Dedication or Erection Date:  September 25, 1988
SIDE 1: 
The Cureton Bridge Post Office was established here August 21, 1850. The first postmaster was James U. Cureton who served until 1852. John A. Wood became postmaster and continued in this position until the office was discontinued in 1866. It was re-established July 21, 1870 with Daniel A. Wiggins as postmaster until 1880. The next postmaster was Nancy Willis who served until the post office was discontinued on September 17, 1904 and moved to Capps Station. The mail carrier at that time was Jackson Riley. Erected by the Historic Chattahoochee Commission and the Henry County Historical Society, 1988.

SIDE 2:  Cureton Bridge
Cureton Bridge was an old settlement named for the Cureton family who settled here in the early 1820's. The village was located on the East Fork of the Choctawhatchee River in the western part of Henry County and the northeast of what later became the Center Community. William Jackson Cureton, 1760-1832, was a native of Virginia who moved here about 1825. He constructed a private bridge across the Choctawhatchee River one mile east of here which was the first to be built over this waterway. Erected by the Historic Chattahoochee Commission and the Henry County Historical Society, 1988.

3. First Baptist Church of Headland
 
Location: Located at the Church: 301 East Church Street, Headland, Alabama.
Marker Dedication or Erection Date:  August 19, 1979
Marker Text: 
Organized in 1867, as the Baptist Church of Christ at Bethlehem, it was located at 1 Cleveland Street. Reverend Thomas Scott was first pastor. William Whitehead was first deacon. Moved to East Church and Peachtree Street in 1893. Moved to present site in 1909. Name changed to Headland Missionary Baptist Church. Name changed to First Baptist Church of Headland in 1954.

Erected by the Historic Chattahoochee Commission and the Henry County Historical Society, 1979.

4. Franklin - First Beachhead into East Alabama
 
Location: Located near the McKemie Bridge on Alabama Highway 10, fourteen miles east of Abbeville, Alabama.
Marker Dedication or Erection Date:  January 21, 1979
Marker Text: 
The frontier village of Franklin was established here by Colonel Robert Irwin in 1814 on the site of the Indian town of Cheeska Talofa. It was the first colonial village in east Alabama. Fort Gaines, Georgia, was constructed in 1816 to protect the early settlers in this former Creek Indian Nation, West. Twenty-one blocks were laid off for this promising river port of Abbeville. This prospective early city never recovered from the destructive flood of 1888.

Erected by the Historic Chattahoochee Commission and the Henry County Historical Society, 1978.

5. HEADLAND, ALABAMA
 
Location: Headland Public Square, Headland, Alabama
Marker Dedication or Erection Date:  2005
SIDE 1: 
James Joshua Head (1839-1927) founded Headland in 1871 as Heads Land. He patented land, platted the town and built his home. The Post Office opened, as Headland, on October 10, 1871. J. J. Head sold Headland to Hosey C. Powell in 1879, who sold to Dr. Wyatt S. Oates in 1880. J. J. Head moved to Tampa, Florida in 1883 and later established Lake Magdalene. Headland incorporated in 1884 with 26 white and 4 black petitioners. The railroad and depot were built in 1893. Headland grew into Henry Countys largest city by 2000.

Erected by the Historic Chattahoochee Commission, the Henry County Historical Group, Headland Kiwanis Club and The Headland National Bank, 2005.

SIDE 2:  HEADLAND PUBLIC SQUARE
This public square was laid off in 1871 by J. J. Head with a vision for a branch court house. Henry County voters decided in the 1879 and 1885 court house site elections not to locate a court house on the public square. Henry has been Alabamas only County with three court houses at the same time. The Alabama Supreme Court ruled in 1908 that the town of Headland had title to the square instead of Dr. W. S. Oates (1852-1913), who had claimed title when he purchased the town in 1880. Dr. Oates was instrumental in the development of Headland. The first public statue in Henry County was erected on the square in 1926 and the square was paved in 1935.

Erected by the Historic Chattahoochee Commission, the Henry County Historical Group and Friends of Headland, 2005.

6. Henry, the Mother County
 
Location: Located on the lawn of the Henry County Courthouse, Abbeville, Alabama.
Marker Dedication or Erection Date:  March 18, 1979
Marker Text: 
Upon formation, Henry County was the largest county within Alabama, composing all or portion of the present counties of Barbour, Coffee, Covington, Crenshaw, Dale, Geneva, Houston and Pike. When the youngest county of Houston was formed in 1903, Henry became the smallest. Franklin, the dead river port of Abbeville on the Chattahoochee River, was the colonial settler's first beachhead into the wild west of Creek Indian Territory after 1814. Old Henry was the original Alabama Wiregrass area. Erected by the Historic Chattahoochee Commission and the Henry County Historical Society, 1979.

7. Irwin Empire
 
Location: Located on Alabama Highway 10 at Shorterville, Alabama.
Marker Dedication or Erection Date:  May 20, 1979
Marker Text: 
Site of the 1831 Irwin Homeplace where 50,000 acres of land was owned by Major General William Irwin (1794-1850). He was an Indian fighter, farmer, politician, statesman, and considered one of the nation's richest and most influential men. A portion of his land was awarded for services rendered during the Indian Wars. Irwinton (Eufaula) was his namesake. He was a major force in the disposition of the last Indian lands. He drowned in the Chattahoochee River and was buried near his homesite.

Erected by the Historic Chattahoochee Commission and the Henry County Historical Society, 1979.

8. Lawrenceville
 
Location: Located on U.S. Highway 431 at Lawrenceville, Alabama.
Marker Dedication or Erection Date:  November 12, 1978
SIDE 1: 
This cultural, educational and religious center in east Alabama was settled in 1823 and named for Joseph Lawrence, prominent pioneer, farmer, and extensive land owner. A Baptist and a Methodist Church were established here prior to 1830. The first settlers of this area came from the Carolinas and Georgia, crossing the Chattahoochee River at Franklin and squatting here until land could be purchased in 1828.

SIDE 2:  Lawrenceville Academy
The first and foremost educational facility in east Alabama opened here prior to 1840. It later became the Masonic Male and Female Institute. This pioneer school was active for 50 years graduating such outstanding personalities as Anson West, DDV, Methodist minister, missionary, author, educator, and William C. Oates, Governor of Alabama, Colonel C.S.A., General U.S.A., and author.

Erected by the Historic Chattahoochee Commission and the Henry County Historical Society, 1978.

9. Liberty United Methodist Church
 
Marker Dedication or Erection Date:  April 23, 1989
SIDE 1: 
Also called Liberty Chapel, the Church was organized circa 1830 and originally located three miles northeast of this site, on the Old Liberty Church Road. Anson West, the prominent Methodist historian was licensed to exhort there November 3, 1855. In 1873, the building was dismantled and moved to this site, donated by the Peacock Family, to be used as a place of Divine Worship. It was used as a schoolhouse for many years. Using much of the original material, the church was rebuilt in 1914 and later enclosed with brick. Sunday School rooms, bathrooms, kitchen and fellowship hall were added in recent years.

Erected by the Historic Chattahoochee Commission and the Henry County Historical Society, 1989.

SIDE 2:  Hilliardsville
Hilliardsville post office was established near here on May 18, 1850, with Washington H. Peacock as its first postmaster, followed in 1860 by John M. Woods. Discontinued during the Civil War, the post office was re-established in 1872 with Matilda Thompson as postmistress. Later appointments were John P. Crawford in 1876, Matilda Thompson again in 1878, James A. Phillips and Richard Knight in 1882, Mattie R. Bedell in 1883, John C. McLeod, Maggie E. Johnston in 1884, and William F. Watford in 1887. His son, John W. Watford served from 1897 until October 15, 1907, when mail service was transferred to the Abbeville Post Office.

Erected by the Historic Chattahoochee Commission and the Henry County Historical Society, 1989.

10. Methodist Episcopal Church, South
 
Location: Located in front of the church, East Washington Street, Abbeville, Alabama.
Marker Dedication or Erection Date:  May 27, 1979
Marker Text: 
Erected 1896

Erected to the Glory of God. The Methodist Church in Abbeville was established circa 1830 as a mission of the Lawrenceville circuit. The 1850 church was erected north of the present post office on East Washington Street. Present church retains most of its original features including bell and belfry, parquet ceiling and hand finished beams. First Sunday School annex built in 1949 with addition in 1958. Proclaimed Henry County's number one historical structure in 1973 by Henry County Historical Society. Erected by the Historic Chattahoochee Commission and the Henry County Historical Society, 1979.

11. Mt. Enon Primitive Baptist Church
 
Location: Located at the Church off Henry County Road 54 in Edwin, Alabama.
Marker Dedication or Erection Date:  September 16, 1979
Marker Text: 
This early settlers' church was constituted as a member of the Choctawhatchee Association District here on the Eufaula-Ozark Wagon Train Road, April 23, 1860. First Presbytery was M.W. Helms and J.J. Dickerson, Deacon William Hasten and Clerk D.R. Clanton. About 50 members composed the first membership. Other elders were: Aaron Helms, S.S. Pellum, L. H. Stuckey, P. L. Thomas, Henry Pellum, Albert Lee Ray, W. I. Kelley, Alto Walker, Tom McGowin, R.K. Blaskshear, and S. J. B. Dallas. Erected by the Historic Chattahoochee Commission and the Henry County Historical Society, 1979.

12. MT. ZION BAPTIST CHURCH
 
Location: 1115 Stovall Drive, Haleburg, Alabama
Marker Dedication or Erection Date:  July 24, 2004
Marker Text: 
Constituted to the Glory of God, circa 1871, by former slaves in the area that later became Halesburg (now Haleburg), Alabama in 1885. Mt. Zion Church is one of the oldest African-American wooden frame churches in service in Alabama's Wiregrass section. The church cemetery contains many graves of former slaves who gained their freedom at the end of the Civil War in 1865. Tradition states that the original sanctuary remains with improvements added over time. Mt. Zion Baptist Church was placed on the Alabama Register of Historic Places in 1985. In 2003, preservation efforts were finished by the church family with help from many friends.

Erected by the Historic Chattahoochee Commission, the Mt. Zion Baptist Church Family and the Henry County Historical Group, Inc., 2004.

13. NEWVILLE, ALABAMA
 
Location: 9127 County Road 99, Headland, Alabama
Marker Dedication or Erection Date:  November 7, 2004
SIDE 1: 
Side 1 James Madison Wells founded a village called Wells circa 1882. When Abbeville Southern Railroad laid tracks through the town in 1893, its name was changed to Wells Station. The post office was built in 1894. Wells Station incorporated as "Newville" in 1903. The town of Newvillebecame prosperous with merchants, banks, lodges, doctors, churches, a Newville High School, a Rosenwald High School, societies, a newspaper, a depot, sawmills, cotton gins, mule stables and all the elements required by a developing town. Newville's slow decline commenced after the great depression due to farm mechanization and loss of commerce.

Erected by the Historic Chattahoochee Commission, The Henry County Historical Group and Friends of Newville, 2004.

SIDE 2:  NEWVILLE PIONEERS
Pioneer men and women of Wells and Newville were farmers, housewives, laborers, tradesmen and entrepreneurs seeking a better life. These pioneers were risk takers who forged a new village and town. Some of these hard working adventurers included pioneering families of: James M. Wells, T. J. Bond, Moses M. Bond, Henry L. Brackin, John Griffin, H. C. Price, Joe Whiddon, Jim Griffin, Dr. Carl T. Jones, Dr. Littleton T. Hutto, James W. Capps, Bud Coley, Abner Jackson, Dr. A. L. Whigham, Lawrence Cotton, Eddie Kirkland, Joe McClendon, John W. Whiddon, Joseph S. Kirkland, William Kirkland and others.

Erected by the Historic Chattahoochee Commission, The Henry County Historical Group and Friends of Newville, 2004.

14. Pelham House
 
Marker Dedication or Erection Date:  January 1, 1991
SIDE 1: 
Originally constructed about 1820 as a single pen log dwelling, this building was later enlarged into a dogtrot house and covered with weatherboards. It was situated next to the earliest Henry County road known as the Irwinton (Eufaula), Franklin, Columbia Postal-Stagecoach River Road. It is an excellent example of the oldest type of folk house in the lower Chattahoochee Valley. Preserved by the L.F. Mills family for over 100 years, this house was disassembled, moved and restored on this site by the A. J. Rane family of Abbeville.

Erected by the Historic Chattahoochee Commission, Henry County Historical Society and the Great Southern Wood Preserving Company, Inc., 1991

SIDE 2:  Abbeville Southern Railroad
For the first 75 years of its history, Abbeville's commerce was tied directly to the Chattahoochee River by Indian trails and wagon roads. The arrival of the first train on the Abbeville Southern Railroad, November 27, 1893, signaled the dawn of a new era in Abbeville’s commercial life. In the December 1, 1893 issue of the Abbeville Times, the editor described the arrival which was received by "hundreds of people with happy and throbbing hearts." Railroad workers were treated to a holiday and parade the next day “with over one hundred and thirty mules and as many or more laborers leading the band.”

Erected by the Historic Chattahoochee Commission, Henry County Historical Society and the Great Southern Wood Preserving Company, Inc., 1991

15. Seven Flags and an Arrow over Abbeville
 
Location: Located on the lawn of Abbeville City Hall, Abbeville, Alabama.
Marker Dedication or Erection Date:  April 7, 1979
SIDE 1: 
Pre-historical man; Creek Indian Nation, West 1519-1814; Spanish Florida 1540-1702; French Louisiana 1702-1763; British West Florida 1763-1780; Spanish West Florida 1780-1813; United States 1813-1861; Georgia Territory 1732-1802; Mississippi Territory 1798-1804; Alabama Territory 1817-1819; Washington County 1800-1812; Conecuh County 1818-1819; Confederate States of America 1861-1865; United States 1865-. Abbe, an Indian name of nearby Creek meaning a grove of dogwood trees.

SIDE 2: 
The oldest remaining colonial settlement in east Alabama from Florida to the Tennessee line and older than the County of Henry and the State of Alabama. An active trading post was located here in Alabama Territory on "The Hill" early in 1819. The first settler gateway to the Wiregrass was at Franklin, located 14 miles east.

Erected by the Historic Chattahoochee Commission and the Henry County Historical Society, 1978.

16. Showplace of the South
 
Marker Dedication or Erection Date:  July 4, 1996
SIDE 1: 
The Mansion" was built in the 1830's on this site by Colonel James Bennett and his wife, Harriet M. Grace. Tradition maintains that it was the only three story antebellum home in the Chattahoochee Valley. The top floor was a ballroom. Six columns spanned the façade which included a winding staircase. "The Mansion" could be seen from the Chattahoochee River and was know by riverboat travelers as "The Showplace of the South." James Bennett came to Alabama in 1817 with his father, Luke Bennett. They first settled on a ridge between what is now Clayton and Louisville along with James Arthur, Pious Chambers, and others.

Erected by The Historic Chattahoochee Commission and The Bennett Family, 1996.

SIDE 2:  Showplace of the South
The "Mansion" later burned to the ground leaving only the kitchen standing. Its construction of 10” x 10” beams set on concrete blocks made of sand and pebbles from the property. Cut nails and large steel spikes were used throughout the building. The cemetery here holds the graves of Colonel James Bennett; Bartlett Smith Bennett, infant son; James W. Bennett, CSA; John B. Bennett, CSA; the Bennett slaves; and the construction overseer from New York, Mr. Williams, who died of pneumonia before "The Mansion” was completed. Harriet Grace Bennett rests in an unmarked grave in the Shorterville Baptist Church cemetery near her son Thomas.

Erected by The Historic Chattahoochee Commission and The Bennett Family, 1996.

17. The Bethune-Kennedy House
 
Location: Located at 302 Kirkland Street, Abbeville, Alabama.
Marker Dedication or Erection Date:  December 6, 1987
Marker Text: 
This rare, dual front door, double pen Creole cottage was constructed circa 1840 on the military three-notch road, now Kirkland Street. It is the oldest remaining structure in Abbeville. Earliest known owner was Confederate Colonel William Calvin Bethune, M.D. Last owner-dweller was Mollie Kennedy. To avoid immediate demolition, it was purchased in 1976, placed on the National Register in 1978 and initially restored by the Henry County Historical Society. It is presently owned by the Abbeville Chamber of Commerce.

Erected by the Historic Chattahoochee Commission and the Abbeville Chamber of Commerce, 1986.

18. The Southeast Alabama Agricultural School
 
Marker Dedication or Erection Date:  May 29, 1990
SIDE 1: 
This school and experiment station was created by Alabama Legislative Act No. 579, February 28, 1889. This was the first school in Alabama to offer free secondary education. SAAS was also the state's and Auburn’s first junior college. Probate Judge John B. Ward is known as the "father of the college". He lobbied for a two story brick building which finally was completed in 1898. The first 1889 classes were held at The Abbeville Academy until the main building was completed. Later, similar wooden structure schools were established in each congressional district.

Erected by the Historic Chattahoochee Commission and the Henry County Historical Society, 1990

SIDE 2:  First Free Secondary School
SAAS opened September 16, 1889 at The Abbeville Academy. Abbeville was referred to as "the educational center of the southeastern United States" by the Abbeville Times. Renowned Lawrenceville Academy headmaster Joseph A. Espy was the first president of the “agriculture college”. Local homes boarded the students from five counties and three states. The school had 227 students during the 1890 commencement, with graduating exercises lasting four days at the new brick courthouse on the square. Several name changes have occurred since its founding. In 1943, Abbeville Secondary Agriculture School became Abbeville High School. Erected by the Historic Chattahoochee Commission and the Henry County Historical Society, 1990

 «Tours»   «Calendar»   «Folklife Project»   «Lodging/Food»   «Resources»   «Contact/About»   «Store»   «Home»   «Text Version» 
Subsection:   [Main]  [Alabama]  [Georgia]  [Historic Marker Guidelines
Troup County, GA Chambers County, AL Lee County, AL Russell County, AL Barbour County, AL Henry County, AL Dale County, AL Houston County, AL Harris County, GA Muscogee County, GA Chattahoochee County, GA Stewart County, GA Quitman County, GA Randolph County, GA Early County, GA Seminole County, GA Decatur County, GA Clay County, GA