Historic Chattahoochee Commission.
search»  Site Search link. site index»  Site Index link. home»  Link to home page.
HCC graphic. Historic Markers » Alabama HCC graphic.

Click on the county below you wish to view.
Small map of Chattahoochee Trace counties.
Lee County, Alabama»
1. AUBURN UNITED METHODIST CHURCH FOUNDER'S CHAPEL
 
Marker Dedication or Erection Date:  2004
Marker Text: 
In 1836 Judge John Harper with 34 other Methodists from Harris County, Georgiasettled here. They built a log structure on this site, the first church and school in Auburn.In 1856 church leaders inspired the Methodist Conference to open East Alabama Male College. It later became a state institution and namedAuburn University in 1960. In 1899 this building was encased in brick and the pipe organ installed.It became a fellowship hall when the sanctuary was built in 1955. In 1992 it was restored and named Founder's Chapel.

Erected by the Historic Chattahoochee Commission and Preservation Alliance of Auburn, 2004.

2. AUBURN UNIVERSITY CHAPEL
 
Marker Dedication or Erection Date:  May 7, 1995
SIDE 1:  AUBURN UNIVERSITY CHAPEL
The University Chapel is the oldest public building in the city of Auburn. Built as a Presbyterian Church, the first service was held in the original Greek Revival-style building on September 13, 1851. Edwin Reese, spiritual leader to the tiny congregation, had the bricks made by slaves on his plantation. The founder of the town, Judge John J. Harper, gave the land. The first minister was the Reverend Albert Shotwell. The small church has seen several renovations over the years, and dramatically changed in appearance from Greek Revival to Gothic style. Originally the church had two entrances, one for men and one for women. The church building has served many purposes, and played an integral part in the town's history. In the 19th Century it was used as a Confederate hospital, a meeting place for the first Episcopal congregation and in 1887 when the main building burned at Alabama Polytechnic Institute, the college used the building for a temporary classroom. By 1917, the Presbyterian congregation with over 100 members, moved to their new building on the corner of Gay and Thach. It was placed on the National Register of Historic Places by the Department of the Interior, National Park Service, May 22, 1973.

Erected by the Historic Chattahoochee Commission and the Auburn Heritage Association, 1994.

SIDE 2:  AUBURN UNIVERSITY CHAPEL
In 1921, the Alabama Polytechnic Institute acquired the building which had been renovated in a Gothic style around 1900. Until 1926 it served a variety of social functions housing the U.S.O. and later the Y.M.C.A. - Y.W.C.A., giving it the long time sobriquet the "Y" Hut. On July 27, 1926, the Auburn Players made their debut performance, and until 1973 it was University Theatre. In 1976, after extensive renovation designed by Professor Nicholas Davis, the old church re-opened as the University Chapel, and interdenominational, multipurpose building. During renovation, the hand-made trusses, girders and joists, slotted and pegged together, were discovered. The new ceiling was built above this wooden network to highlight this original feature. The new entrance doors are replicas of the originals, as is the steeple. The beautiful old bricks were cleaned, repaired, and a new layer of mortar put into the joints. Landscaped walkways and curving brick walls were all added. Funds for the project were given by the E. L. Spencer, Jr. family. It stands today as a blend of the old and the new, a reminder of Auburn's religious, academic, and social history.

Erected by the Historic Chattahoochee Commission and the Auburn Heritage Association, 1994.

3. BAPTIST HILL
 
Marker Dedication or Erection Date:  March 5, 1995
SIDE 1:  BAPTIST HILL
Auburn's first separate black community cemetery offers a rich source of the city’s black heritage. Much of the history is oral but it is known that a white man gave most of the land in the early 1870’s. The four acre cemetery contains over 500 marked graves and many others are unmarked. The oldest grave is dated 1879. Those interred here are a cross section of the city’s blacks. Many were born slaves but later succeeded in teaching or business. The cemetery is still in use and is maintained by the City of Auburn but its ownership is unknown. Documentation of the site was done by the auburn Heritage Association in 1990.

Erected by the Historic Chattahoochee Commission and the Auburn Heritage Association, 1994.

SIDE 2:  BAPTIST HILL
Though located at the base of a slope, the cemetery derives its name from Ebenezer Baptist Church on a hill to the west. Ebenezer, established in 1865, was the first black churched formed in Auburn after the Civil War. The church building was erected before 1870 on land donated by Lonnie Payne, a white man. The church was so prominent in the area that it gave the name "Baptist Hill" to the vicinity. Its members were the first buried in the cemetery although members of other black churches are now interred here. Ebenezer was placed on the National Register of Historic Places in 1978. The cemetery was added to the Alabama Register in 1994.

Erected by the Historic Chattahoochee Commission and the Auburn Heritage Association, 1994.

4. BEAN'S MILL
 
Location: Located on US Highway 29 at mile marker 197 (approximately 6 miles east of Opelika)
Marker Dedication or Erection Date:  May 11, 2002
SIDE 1:  BEAN'S MILL
In 1832, Kotch,ar Yoholo owned the site. Moses Wheat and son, Francis, owned saw and grist mills on this site in the late 1830s. Francis died in 1838 from an accident at the mills. In 1852 the property was owned by John 'Jack' Floyd and son, James C. In 1858 John sold his share to James, who took Hiram Murphy as a partner. The Grist Mill washed out in 1874 and was replaced with a structure on stone foundations above normal high water. The mill remained in the Floyd Family until 1899. It is the only one left of several mills once located on Halawakee Creek.

Erected by the Historic Chattahoochee Commission and Lee County Historical Society, 2002.

SIDE 2:  BEAN'S MILL
Here in 1897 the first iron bridge in Lee County was built. In 1903 George W. Bean bought the mill, operating it until his death in 1952. About 1910 Bean installed an iron overshot wheel to replace the old turbine. Later, the dam height was raised two feet. On March 30, 1939, FDR on his way to Warm Springs stopped his motorcade for a visit. In 1989 John M. Ross purchased the deteriorated mill with 80 acres. Ross reconstructed the mill to operating condition in 1997. On October 1, 1997, the Alabama Historical Commission placed it on the Alabama Register of Landmarks and Heritage.

Erected by the Historic Chattahoochee Commission and Lee County Historical Society, 2002.

5. CITY HALL
 
Location: Located at 144 Tichenor Avenue, Auburn, Alabama
Marker Dedication or Erection Date:  September 17, 2002
SIDE 1:  CITY HALL
In 1846, Auburn's Founder, Judge John J. Harper deeded the property on this corner to Simeon Perry, as town agent for two of the earliest public schools in Auburn. A member of the settlement party, Perry laid out the original boundaries of the City of Auburn. In 1931, the City of Auburn donated this land for a larger post office. Congress gave $90,000 for its construction and the building was completed in 1933, while Levi Knapp was Postmaster. First class status was attained here in 1940 under Postmaster Homer Wright, and it served as the post office until 1991. It was at least the seventh location for town postal service.

Erected by the Historic Chattahoochee Commission, the City of Auburn and the Auburn Heritage Association, 2002

SIDE 2:  CITY HALL
The City of Auburn bought the building in 1992 for $375,000. In 1999, the City Council voted to renovate it as City Hall. It was dedicated in 2001. The building has a "Starved-Classical," symmetrical style, with pointed pediments, typical of Federal Depression architecture. These elements have been preserved through several additions and renovations. Postmasters who served Auburn on this site: Levi A. Knapp; Homer Wright; Mrs. Katherine Wright; Jay G. Hitchcock; Harold Nall; Charles M. Dawson; Bill Kitchen; J. Dan McLaughlin. The building was listed on the National Register of Historic Places by the U.S. Department of the Interior in 1983.

Erected by the Historic Chattahoochee Commission, the City of Auburn and the Auburn Heritage Association, 2002

6. DARDEN HOUSE
 
Location: 1323 Auburn Street, Opelika, Alabama
Marker Dedication or Erection Date:  June 27, 2003
Marker Text: 
Dr. John Wesley Darden, was the first AfricanAmerican physician to treat patients within a 30-mile radius of Opelika. He built the Darden House in 1904, and later married Maude Jean Logan of Montgomery. Dr. and Mrs. Darden shaped many lives through their commitment to the community by providing better health care and education. The Darden House became the social and political center of the African American community in Opelika. Dr. Darden sometimes saw patients in a clinic on the main floor and many gatherings and events were held here over the years. Prominent visitors to the Darden House included Booker T. Washington, George Washington Carver, and A. G. Gaston.

Erected by the Historic Chattahoochee Commission and the Opelika Historic Preservation Society, 2003.

7. DILLARD-LAWSON HOUSE
 
Marker Dedication or Erection Date:  2000
Marker Text: 
Built by Auburn merchant A. L. Dillard in 1894, the home was once part of the old Scott Plantation. It was one of the first homes in Auburn to have an indoor bath and electricity. An unusual feature of the house is the gray stone, for which Dillard invented a secret formula to make it moisture proof. Mrs. Dillard and her daughter were the first registered women voters in Lee County. In 1925, Sigma Pi Fraternity was chartered here. The James L. Lawson family owned the house from 1939-1984. It was home to Mabel Yearby, the first woman defense lawyer in Alabama. In 1984 the house was sold to business interests.

Erected by the Auburn Heritage Association and the Historic Chattahoochee Commission, 2000.

8. EBENEZER BAPTIST CHURCH / BAPTIST HILL / EAST THACH AVENUE
 
Location: ocated at the Church on East Thach Avenue, Auburn, Alabama.
Marker Dedication or Erection Date:  December 10, 1978
SIDE 1:  EBENEZER BAPTIST CHURCH / BAPTIST HILL / EAST THACH AVENUE
This simple frame structure was built by newly freed black men and women before 1870. The property on which the building stands was given to a member of the Ebenezer congregation in 1865, the year the War Between the States ended, by a white landowner, Lonnie Payne. The church is built of hand hewn logs, felled on the Frazer plantation, northeast of Auburn, and were hauled by mule to this site. Members of the congregation constructed the building. The Church and its early leaders figured prominently in Alabama's black Baptist history. The church congregation held its services here until 1969.

SIDE 2:  EBENEZER BAPTIST CHURCH / BAPTIST HILL / EAST THACH AVENUE
Pastors serving church at this site: Reverend Tom Glynn Reverend Ishman Pollard Reverend I. T. Simpson Reverend C. J. Davis Reverend H. E. Jones Reverend Saunders Reverend O.D. Slaughter Reverend J. M. Alexander Reverend G. R. Young, Jr.

Erected by the Historic Chattahoochee Commission, 1978

9. EMMANUEL EPISCOPAL CHURCH
 
Location: 800 1st Avenue, Opelika, Alabama
Marker Dedication or Erection Date:  November 6, 2004
Marker Text: 
Organized in 1858, Trinity Mission was admitted to the Episcopal Diocese of Alabama on May 5, 1860. When the first church was consecrated on this site in 1862, it was renamed Emmanuel, meaning "God With Us." That building was destroyed by a tornado in 1869. The cornerstone for the present church was laid on Easter Day 1872. Built of native fieldstone from the Nelson and Sarah Carruthers Clayton Plantation north of Opelika, Emmanuel is the oldest public building in Opelika. Born of hope during Reconstruction, this little stone church stands as a testament to pioneer faith and endurance and remains a living monument to the Father, Son and Holy Spirit.

Erected by the Historic Chattahoochee Commission, Opelika Historical Preservation and Emmanuel Episcopal Church, 2004.

10. FIRST UNITED METHODIST CHURCH
 
Location: Located at 702 Avenue A, Opelika, Alabama.
Marker Dedication or Erection Date:  1987
Marker Text: 
Established as the first religious organization in the area in 1836 with 22 members as Labanon Methodist Episcopal Church, around which the village of Opelika developed. Moved to present location in 1879 as Opelika Station, Montgomery District, Methodist Episcopal Church, South. Red brick steepled building completed in 1881. Renamed "First Methodist Episcopal Church, South of Opelika" by Quarterly Conference in 1905. Remodeled in 1909 to present Classical Revival style characterized by fluted columns, Corinthians capitals and sanctuary dome. Erected by the Historic Chattahoochee Commission and Opelika First United Methodist Church, 1987.

11. GENERAL JAMES HENRY LANE HOUSE/WOMAN’S CLUB OF AUBURN
 
Location: Located at the corner of Thach & College Street, Auburn, Alabama.
Marker Dedication or Erection Date:  October 8, 1992
Marker Text: 
The Lane House, built in 1853 at the corner of Thach and College Street, was home to several Auburn University notables. E. T. Glenn, Treasurer, leased it in 1873. General James H. Lane, Aide to General Stonewall Jackson and Head of Engineering, purchased the house in 1884. Daughter Mary married Dean George Petrie, author of the Auburn Creed. Daughter Kate Meade Lane was the last resident. Mollie Hollifield Jones purchased the house in 1960 for the Woman's Club. The house was moved to its present location in 1962. It was placed on the Alabama Register of Landmarks and Heritage in 1991.

Erected by the Historic Chattahoochee Commission and the Women’s Club of Auburn, 1992.

12. KILLGORE SCHOLARSHIPS
 
Marker Dedication or Erection Date:  1997
SIDE 1:  KILLGORE SCHOLARSHIPS
Here James A. Killgore (1888-1966) and his wife, Ophelia Parker, operated a grocery store from 1916 to 1944. The Killgores worked hard, practiced frugality, and invested money wisely, desiring to help deserving students pursue a college education. The Killgores willed one million, two hundred thousand dollars for a trust fund to provide college scholarships for graduates of Lee County High Schools: Auburn High, Opelika High, Beauregard High, Beulah High, and Smith's Station High. Since 1967, the Killgore Scholarships have assisted hundreds of students with their college education.

Provided by a friend, G. A. "Chief" Mitchell and the Lee County Commission. Erected by the Historic Chattahoochee Commission, 1997.

SIDE 2:  SOME TERMS OF SCHOLARSHIPS
Since its beginning over 900 students have received scholarships. The Killgore Scholarships were established to reward students for their efforts and to encourage them to continue their education. Four-year scholarships are awarded annually to students from Auburn, Beauregard, Beulah, Opelika, and Smith's Station High Schools for achieving excellence. Girls receive $750 each year, boys $500. Military service, personal illness or family matters only may interrupt a student’s education funded by these scholarships.

Provided by a friend, G. A. "Chief" Mitchell and the Lee County Commission. Erected by the Historic Chattahoochee Commission, 1997.

13. LEE COUNTY COURTHOUSE
 
Location: Located on Lee County Courthouse lawn, Opelika, Alabama.
Marker Dedication or Erection Date:  July 19, 1978
SIDE 1:  LEE COUNTY COURTHOUSE
Lee County was created from portions of Russell, Macon, Chambers and Tallapoosa by act of the Alabama legislature, approved December 5, 1866. The county's first election was held January 21, 1867. An early courthouse stood across the street from the present structure. In 1896, when W. C. Robinson was Probate Judge, erection of today’s courthouse got underway: low bid, $23, 000; architect’s fee, $1,000; total bond issue, including jail, $35,000. Last bonds paid off in late 1930’s. Placed on the National Register of Historic Places July 23, 1973.

Erected by the Historic Chattahoochee Commission, 1978.

SIDE 2:  LEE COUNTY PROBATE JUDGES
David Read, January 21, 1867- August 10, 1872 Wilson Williams, August 1872 – 1880 James K. Edwards, 1881- October 20, 1883 Thomas L. Frazer, November 2, 1883 - 1886 William Carlisle Robinson, 1887 – 1898 Frank Monroe Renfro, 1899 – 1904 John B. Lyons, Late 1904 – May 24, 1915 Griffin P. Butler, June 1, 1915 – November 28, 1932 Lum Duke, late 1932 – January 1935 John T. Frazer, January 15, 1935 – January 25, 1949 James Lewis Killian, 1949- 1950 Ira H. Weissinger, Sr., November 11, 1950 – January 17, 1977 I. H. (Hal) Smith, January 18, 1977 –

Erected by the Historic Chattahoochee Commission, 1978.

14. LOACHAPOKA HISTORIC DISTRICT
 
Location: Located on Alabama Highway 14 in Loachapoka, Alabama.
Marker Dedication or Erection Date:  October 14, 1978
SIDE 1:  LOACHAPOKA HISTORIC DISTRICT
One of the larger settlements of the Upper Creeks at the time of Indian Removal to the West, 1835-1837. Their last Council Fire was held here before their forced migration to Oklahoma. Pioneer families began pouring in after 1836. Today's cemetery was known as Pine Level; the fist Baptist church was located there. A half mile south was Ball’s Fork, trade center and stagecoach junction. Loachapoka can be interpreted as "land where turtles live," or "turtle killing place."

SIDE 2:  BOOM AND CHANGE
Coming of the railroad from Montgomery in 1845 started a new era, with Loachapoka's name revived. It became the trade center for Waverly, Roxana, Rome, Camp Hill, Dudleyville and Dadeville. Rousseau’s Raiders hit Loachapoka at sundown, Sunday, July 17, 1864, and stayed one day. Census of 1870 indicated a population of 1,254, but Reconstruction, migration, 1873 panic, and railroad extension from Opelika to Dadeville in the early 1870’s destroyed the town’s preeminence. Loachapoka was placed on the National Register of Historic Places, May 11, 1973.

Erected by the Historic Chattahoochee Commission, 1978.

15. NOBLE HALL
 
Location: Located at 1433 Lee Road 97, 3 miles north of Auburn, Alabama.
Marker Dedication or Erection Date:  1988
SIDE 1:  NOBLE HALL
Side 1 The Greek Revival rock and mortar house was built by Addison Frazer (1809-1873) between 1852 and 1854 and served as the center for a 2,000 acre cotton plantation. Frazer owned 100 slaves and was on the Board of Trustees of Auburn Masonic Female College and East Alabama Male College. The contractor from Kentucky used slave labor to build the eight rooms with 12 foot high ceilings and 18 inch exterior walls, two cantilever balconies and eight Doric columns. In the rear are the original separate kitchen, carriage-smokehouse and overseer's house. The Frazer family owned the house until 1922.

Erected by the Historic Chattahoochee Commission and the Lee County Historical Society, 1988.

SIDE 2:  NOBLE HALL
In 1932, J. V. Brown, Head of Buildings and Grounds at Alabama Polytechnic Institute, now Auburn University, bought the house and began restoration. In 1941, he sold it and 251 acres to Dr. Luther Noble Duncan (1875-1947), who served as president of A.P.I. (1935-1947). In 1943 his daughter, Elizabeth Pearson (Mrs. Allen M.), and family occupied the house and continued restoration. Mrs. Pearson inherited the house in 1951, collected its furnishings and named it Nobel Hall. In 1972 it was the first building in Lee County to be listed on the National Register of Historic Places.

Erected by the Historic Chattahoochee Commission and the Lee County Historical Society, 1988.

16. PINE HILL CEMETERY
 
Marker Dedication or Erection Date:  November 2, 1997
SIDE 1:  PINE HILL CEMETERY
Pine Hill was established in 1837 and is the oldest cemetery in Auburn. Judge John J. Harper, Auburn's founder, donated almost six acres to the new town to be used as a community burying ground for white settlers and their slaves. The original part of the cemetery lies to the north and contains the oldest marked grave – 1838. Early cemetery records are non-existent as the fist survey was conducted in the 1950’s when over 1,100 marked graves were cataloged. Of this number, only one black grave is identified. A cross section of Auburn Citizens are buried here including University presidents and slaves.

Erected by the Auburn Heritage Association and the Historic Chattahoochee Commission, 1995.

SIDE 2:  PINE HILL CEMETERY
In the 1870's a separate cemetery, Baptist Hill, opened to the southeast. For decades Pine Hill served as the primary burying ground for whites in the area. The city’s Confederate marker rises at the rear of the cemetery over the common graves of 98 Texas soldiers who died in a temporary hospital housed in a college building known as "The Main." Pine Hill suffered from vandalism and neglect until 1995 when the Auburn Heritage Association launched a restoration of the cemetery. It was placed on the Alabama Register in 1978 and is owned and maintained by the City of Auburn. Erected by the Auburn Heritage Association and Historic Chattahoochee Commission, 1995.

17. RAILROAD AVENUE, HISTORIC DISTRICT OPELIKA, ALABAMA
 
Location: Located at South Railroad Avenue, Opelika, Alabama.
Marker Dedication or Erection Date:  May 25, 1989
SIDE 1:  RAILROAD AVENUE, HISTORIC DISTRICT OPELIKA, ALABAMA
The Railroad Avenue Historic District was the downtown nucleus of Opelika when the city was incorporated as part of Russell County, Alabama in February, 1854. The city limits extended a mile in every direction from the Montgomery and West Point Railway Station. In 1864 another railroad was built from Opelika to Columbus, thus establishing the city as a transportation center. During 1864 and 1865, Opelika's government supply warehouses, its dept, rolling stock and railroad were a target of Federal raiders Rousseau and Wilson. Train service from Atlanta to Montgomery was re-established in 1865.

Erected by the Historic Chattahoochee Commission and the Opelika Historic Preservation Society, 1985.

SIDE 2:  RAILROAD AVENUE, HISTORIC DISTRICT OPELIKA, ALABAMA
When Lee County was established on December 5, 1866, Opelika became its county seat. The commercial district, a collection of wooden buildings, was destroyed by fire in 1868. The physical rebuilding of the district began during the 1870's. The Railroad Avenue Historic District is composed of 105 buildings which date primarily from the late nineteenth and early twentieth centuries. It contains the major commercial and political structures in the city. The District was accepted for placement on the National Register of Historic Places in 1984. Erected by the Historic Chattahoochee Commission and the Opelika Historic Preservation Society, 1985.

18. ROBERT WILTON BURTON
 
Location: Located in front of Burton House Apartments on East Magnolia, in Auburn, Alabama.
Marker Dedication or Erection Date:  1999
SIDE 1:  ROBERT WILTON BURTON 1848-1917
Near this site once stood "Four-Story Cottage," the home of Robert Wilton Burton. A one-story house with wide porch and bay window, Burton built it in 1885 with proceeds from the sale of four stories to children's magazines. Born in Camden County, Georgia, Burton grew up in Lafayette, Alabama, where he began writing stories for the newspaper, on various subjects. In the early 1870’s, with his brother, he opened a bookstore in Opelika, Alabama. In 1878, at the request of the Agricultural and Mechanical College of Alabama, Burton opened the first bookstore in Auburn. It was soon known as the "Coffee House of the College City."

Erected by the Auburn Heritage Association and Historic Chattahoochee Commission, 1999.

SIDE 2:  ROBERT WILTON BURTON
Burton wrote numerous local color stories for national magazines and newspapers. Many of his best tales, in Negro dialect, feature "Marengo Jake" Mitchell, a former slave in Auburn known for his tall tales. In 1991, these stories were published as “De Remnant Truth.” An active Presbyterian, Burton also served as Secretary of the Town Board of Education, County School Superintendent, Clerk of the Town Council, and Secretary to the College Board of Trustees. His bookstore was sold in 1968; his home dismantled in 1993. Erected by the Auburn Heritage Association and Historic Chattahoochee Commission, 1999.

19. ROSSEAU’S RAID TO EAST ALALBAMA
 
Marker Dedication or Erection Date:  2000
Marker Text: 
With orders from General Sherman, General Lovell Rousseau left Decatur with 2,700 cavalry, beginning his raid into East-Central Alabama. Their raid ended successfully in Opelika July 19, 1864, after miles of track were destroyed along with other railroad equipment, two depots, and several warehouses brimming with supplies for Confederate forces defending Atlanta. They then turned northeast to join Sherman's Army advancing towards Atlanta.

Erected by The Opelika Historic Preservation Society and the Historic Chattahoochee Commission, 2000.

20. SALEM, ALABAMA FOUNDED 1835
 
Location: Located in front of Salem United Methodist Church on U.S. Highway 280-431, Salem, Alabama.
Marker Dedication or Erection Date:  July 9, 1980
SIDE 1:  SALEM, ALABAMA FOUNDED 1835
Among the earliest settlers were the families of Henry Crowder, Dr. D. W. Floyd, Charles Nelms, W. W. Burt, George Heard, John Askew, Moses Pruitt, and Dr. McCoy. Reverend F. L. Cherry, leading historian of east Alabama's first 50 years, wrote that the town was laid off in 1836 by Benjamin H. Baker, Dr. Erastus Jones and B.S. Mangham. A schoolhouse was built in 1837. Professor Sheppard, the first teacher, was followed by professor Sanders in 1838. Academies for the girls and boys, Baptist and Methodist churches and a camp meeting ground were early additions to the community. A stagecoach stop was located on the west side of town. A "picnic" ground popular for public gatherings probably saw its most exciting day in an 1856 presidential rally. By 1855, railroad service had been established from Salem to Opelika and Columbus, Georgia.

SIDE 2:  SALEM, ALABAMA FOUNDED 1835
Local tradition maintains that a district courthouse was built in Salem to serve upper Russell County. The building still stands. When Lee was created on December 5, 1866, Salem became a part of the new county and received the second highest vote total for seat of government. The first three Lee County probate judges came from old Russell County. Two and one-half miles east of this site is Wacoochee Covered Bridge, the last remaining "kissin'" bridge in Lee county and one of a very few found in Alabama. This one span, 75 foot, Town Lattice Bridge was built no later than between 1865 and 1880. It has been fully restored by the Lee County Commission.

Erected by the Historic Chattahoochee Commission and Lee County Historical Society, 1979.

21. SCOTT-YARBROUGH HOUSE
 
Location: Located at 101 Debardeleben Street, Auburn, Alabama
Marker Dedication or Erection Date:  December 10, 1978
SIDE 1:  SCOTT-YARBROUGH HOUSE
Home of Nathaniel J. Scott Family 1847-1871. Colonel Nathaniel J. Scott, from Harris County Georgia, and brother-in-law of John J. Harper (1807-1863), founder of Auburn, Alabama, built this house, which he called "Pebble Hill," on 100 acres at this site in 1847. With its pyramidal roof and symmetrical lines, the frame house reflects the Greek Revival architecture popular at the time. Colonel Scott was one of four commissioners appointed to lay out and manage the town of Auburn. He organized the East Alabama Masonic Female College in 1847. In 1856, he led in the establishment of East Alabama Male College, now Auburn University. Colonel Scott was Auburn's first State Legislator.

SIDE 2:  SCOTT-YARBROUGH HOUSE
Owned by Dr. Cecil Yarbrough Family 1912-1974. "Pebble Hill" was purchased in 1912 by Dr. Cecil S. Yarbrough (1878 -1940) for his family home. Dr. Yarbrough served in the Alabama State Legislature in the 1920's. He served three times as Mayor of Auburn, in 1918, in 1921-22 and from 1936-44. He was college physician during World War II. The Auburn Heritage Association purchased the House in 1974. The raised cottage rests on a brick foundation. The joists and rafters are pegged. The floors are hand hewn heart pine. Owners between 1871-1912: Ray, Hollifield, Riley, Hodges.

Erected by the Historic Chattahoochee Commission, 1978.

22. SHADY GROVE CHRISTIAN CHURCH
 
Marker Dedication or Erection Date:  November 10, 1996
Marker Text: 
Organized November 15, 1846, as the Church of Christ at Shady Grove, under the New Covenant of 2nd Corinthians, 3rd chapter, agreeing to believe all the New Testament teaches, and to obey all its injunctions to best of their capacity and submit to the Laws of Jesus Christ, the Head of the Church in all things. Signed by 51 charter members, William P. Allen, as moderator and D. G. Reeves as clerk. The sanctuary was built circa 1890. Circa 1910, a baptistery was constructed across the road; water being supplied from a nearby spring.

Erected by the Historic Chattahoochee Commission and Shady Grove Christian Church, 1996.

23. THE BAUGHMAN-HONOUR-STILES HOUSE
 
Marker Dedication or Erection Date:  2001
Marker Text: 
Designed by William Dryden Baughman and built by Fred Burk in 1929, the house was not finished due to the Great Depression. Because of its two-story turret and French Norman Style, it became known as "The Castle." In 1949, the home was sold to architect Wilfred M. Honour. In 1996, Warren and Mary Ann Stiles purchased it and restored the original heart pine wood floors, gothic archways, wrought iron fixtures and French millwork. They completed the unfinished tower room and the entire second story.

Erected by the Historic Chattahoochee Commission and the Auburn Heritage Association, 2001.

24. WITTEL DORMITORY
 
Marker Dedication or Erection Date:  1999
Marker Text: 
Wittel Dormitory has long been admired as one of Auburn's most significant examples of classic nineteenth-century design. Built in the early 1900’s by Samuel S. Wittel to house professional women, it also served as a home for three generations of the Wittel family. After World War II enrollment at the Polytechnic Institute, which is now Auburn University, rose dramatically and Wittel became Auburn’s first dormitory for college women. The original structure features copper roof details, wood floors throughout, silver plate applied to the front entrance ceilings and Auburn’s first elevator.

Erected by the Historic Chattahoochee Commission and the Auburn Heritage Association, 1999.

25. WORLD WAR II PRISONER OF WAR FACILITY
 
Marker Dedication or Erection Date:  November 11, 2002
Marker Text: 
Located on this 800 acre site was an enemy prisoner of war camp. Construction of Camp Opelika began in September 1942. The first prisoners, -9captured by the British, were part of General Erwin Rommel's Africa Corps. The camp prisoner population was maintained at about 3000 until the end of World War II, in May 1945. In September 1945, the camp was deactivated and deeded to the City of Opelika. For a brief period the camp quarters were used for veteran's housing before the site became an industrial park.

Erected by the Opelika Historic Preservation Society and the Historic Chattahoochee Commission, 2002.

26. WRIGHT’S MILL
 
Location: Located at the entrance of Chewacla State Park, four miles south of Auburn, Alabama.
Marker Dedication or Erection Date:  July 18, 1979
SIDE 1:  WRIGHT’S MILL
A popular recreation area for more than 100 years. Original dam located a short distance below Chewacla Lake Dam. Mill located on the west bank and ground both corn and wheat. Earlier mill owners from 1840's were Echols, Hiram Reed, Charles Nelms, and John F. Lewis. W.W. Wright (1825 – 1905) owned the mill from about 1873 into early 1900’s when it was abandoned. Most of these years his miller was Joe Broome. Just before Town Creek enters the Chewacla is the Gin-Saw Hole. A water powered gin and sawmill were located here in the 1840’s. For many years it was a very popular swimming hole.

Erected by the Historic Chattahoochee Commission and the Auburn Heritage Association, 1979.

SIDE 2:  WRIGHT’S MILL
In early 1890's a club house was built on the hill between Wright’s Mill and the Gin-Saw Hole. This was a favorite are for Auburnites before Town Creek was contaminated by Auburn Sewage. A bicycle club was formed in Auburn circa 1900. George Petrie and B. B. Ross were prominent members. A bicycle path was constructed from Auburn to Wright’s Mill. It began where Gay Street formerly terminated at Samford Avenue following the east bank of Town Creek much of the way. Chewacla State Park was opened in 1939 and this park included the Wright’s Mill area.

Erected by the Historic Chattahoochee Commission and the Auburn Heritage Association, 1979.

 «Tours»   «Calendar»   «Folklife Project»   «Lodging/Food»   «Resources»   «Contact/About»   «Store»   «Home»   «Text Version» 
Subsection:   [Main]  [Alabama]  [Georgia]  [Historic Marker Guidelines
Troup County, GA Chambers County, AL Lee County, AL Russell County, AL Barbour County, AL Henry County, AL Dale County, AL Houston County, AL Harris County, GA Muscogee County, GA Chattahoochee County, GA Stewart County, GA Quitman County, GA Randolph County, GA Early County, GA Seminole County, GA Decatur County, GA Clay County, GA