Historic Chattahoochee Commission.
search»  Site Search link. site index»  Site Index link. home»  Link to home page.
HCC graphic. Historic Markers » Georgia HCC graphic.

Click on the county below you wish to view.
Small map of Chattahoochee Trace counties.
Early County, Georgia»
1. CENTERVILLE UNITED METHODIST CHURCH
 
Location: 8 miles South of Blakely on Three Notch Road at Damascus-Hilton Road
Marker Dedication or Erection Date:  1998
SIDE 1: 
The Centerville Methodist Church was organized in 1891, and the people of the community erected the first church building eight miles south of Blakely on the Three Notch Road. It was a pine log structure with posts in the middle section for support and two single doors for entering the church. The original floor joists and ceiling trusses, which were made of whole pine logs, are still in place. A wood stove was placed in the middle of the room to warm the congregation. The church was dedicated on August 7, 1898, with Reverend C. C. Lowe serving as its first pastor. In 1976, the social hall was added and synthetic siding installed.

Erected by the Centerville United Methodist Church and the Historic Chattahoochee Commission, 1998.

SIDE 2:  CENTERVILLE UNITED METHODIST CHURCH
Ben Johnson and his wife, Miss Ellie attended the DuBose Methodist Church located six miles away until they were caught in a rainstorm that frightened their horse. In an attempt to get a church nearer home, Ben Johnson and Dick Mock rode for several days before finding someone to donate land for the church. Most of the land in the area was mortgaged because of the Civil War but Elian Harper deeded four acres to church trustees, Ben Johnson, Sam Roe Johnson and John King to be used for a church and a cemetery. Miss Ellie named it Centerville because it was in the middle of the community.

Erected by the Centerville United Methodist Church and the Historic Chattahoochee Commission, 1998.

2. COHEELEE CREEK BRIDGE
 
Location: Coheelee Park, at the covered bridge - Old River Road off Georgia Highway 62
Marker Dedication or Erection Date:  October 31, 1980
SIDE 1: 
According to the May 2, 1883 minutes of the Early County Board of Commissioners, a commission was appointed to inquire into the practicability of construction a bridge across Coheelee Creek at McDonald Ford. However, the construction contract was not let until July 7, 1891. Cost of labor was $490.41 with J. W. Baughman serving as supervisor and W. C. Sheffield, Chairman of the 1891 Commissioners.

Erected by the Historic Chattahoochee Commission and the Early County Historical Society, 1980.

Location: Coheelee Park, at the covered bridge, 9 miles southwest of Blakely, Georgia, on Old River Road near Hilton, Georgia, off Georgia Highway 62

SIDE 2:  FANNIE ASKEW WILLIAMS PARK
The Fannie Askew Williams Park, a picnic area adjacent to Coheelee Creek Covered Bridge on Old River Road, is maintained by the Early County Board of Commissioners. The land was made available to the county in 1959 by the late John H. Williams, of Blakely, and bears the name of his first wife. The Peter Early Chapter DAR serves as custodian of the Park.

Erected by the Historic Chattahoochee Commission and the Early County Historical Society, 1980.

3. COHEELEE CREEK COVERED BRIDGE (Directional)
 
Location: Located on Georgia 92, 2 miles south of the bridge
Marker Dedication or Erection Date:  December 22, 1985
Marker Text: 
Constructed in 1891 by the Early County Commissioner, this relic of by-gone days is the southernmost covered bridge in the United States. The bridge consists of two spans, measuring 96 feet in length. Of the queen-post truss modified design, it stretches across Coheelee Creek with its picturesque waterfalls. The Fannie Askew Williams Park, a county maintained picnic area, is adjacent to the bridge. Coheelee Creek covered bridge is located two miles north of Georgia 62 on Old River Road. On May 13, 1976, it was placed on the National Register of Historic Places.

Erected by the Historic Chattahoochee Commission and the Early County Historical Society, 1985.

4. HILTON SCHOOL
 
Location: Georgia 62 West, at Hilton, Georgia.
Marker Dedication or Erection Date:  1994
Marker Text: 
Formal education began in 1897 on land from J. C. Hudspeth and Mrs. Elizabeth Freeman. A petition in 1924 halted a school at Waters Ford. In 1925 a spacious masonry school opened one mile west of this marker for students from Freeman, Hilton, Rock Hill and Sowhatchee. The name was changed to Hilton Consolidated School. In 1932 students came in from Byrons Academy, Centerville and Lucile. Vocational classrooms, canning plant, lunchroom and gymnasium enhanced the complex before the high school closed in 1955. An elementary school continued until 1960. Many lives and destinies were shaped here.

Erected by the Historic Chattahoochee Commission and Friends of Hilton School, 1994.

5. HILTON UNITED METHODIST CHURCH
 
Location: Georgia 62, Hilton, Georgia-On road to Coheelee Park
Marker Dedication or Erection Date:  April 24, 1994
Marker Text: 
The Hilton Methodist Episcopal Church, South was organized in 1850. The first church was erected one mile southwest of Hilton on the Lower River Road. This structure was sold after the Civil War and services were then conducted in an arbor. E. Hilton deeded land to the church trustees for the present site on November 1, 1889. The pegged-frame building for the Hilton United Methodist Church was built in 1890 and the social hall was added in 1973.

Erected by the Historic Chattahoochee Commission and the Hilton United Methodist Church, 1994.

6. OLD FACTORY CREEK
 
Marker Dedication or Erection Date:  November 1, 2002
Marker Text: 
In 1855, Anthony Hutchins and a group of local citizens built a two-story cotton mill of handmade bricks, fired in Early County, on the north side of Harrod's Creek. The mill, known as the Early County Manufacturing Company, was constructed to spin the cotton produced in the area. It was powered from the falls on Harrod's Creek. Thread from the factory was sold to the W.C Bradley Company in Columbus, GA. The mill operated for two decades before closing in 1876. Trespassers burned the abandoned structure on March 17, 1927. Over time the name of the creek changed from "Harrod's" to "Old Factory."

Erected by the Historic Chattahoochee Commission and the Early County Historical Society, 2002

* Orginal marker was placed on 10-31-1980. The marker was damaged beyond repair. A new marker was erected in 2002, with a slightly different text. Marker has been stolen from sight.

 «Tours»   «Calendar»   «Folklife Project»   «Lodging/Food»   «Resources»   «Contact/About»   «Store»   «Home»   «Text Version» 
Subsection:   [Main]  [Alabama]  [Georgia]  [Historic Marker Guidelines
Troup County, GA Chambers County, AL Lee County, AL Russell County, AL Barbour County, AL Henry County, AL Dale County, AL Houston County, AL Harris County, GA Muscogee County, GA Chattahoochee County, GA Stewart County, GA Quitman County, GA Randolph County, GA Early County, GA Seminole County, GA Decatur County, GA Clay County, GA