Historic Chattahoochee Commission.
search»  Site Search link. site index»  Site Index link. home»  Link to home page.
HCC graphic. Historic Markers » Georgia HCC graphic.

Click on the county below you wish to view.
Small map of Chattahoochee Trace counties.
Harris County, Georgia»
1. B. F. WHITE (1800-1879)
 
Location: Town Square in Hamilton, Georgia.
Marker Dedication or Erection Date:  September 6, 1984
Marker Text: 
Song writer, teacher, editor, lived in Hamilton, 1843-c. 1868, was mayor, 1865. Near this spot in 1844 he published Sacred Harp, a fa-sol-la acappella singing school book now in its 14th edition. While taught in a local academy, conducted singing schools in many places and organized singing conventions, some of which still exist. He died in Atlanta and is buried in Oakland Cemetery.

Erected by the Historic Chattahoochee Commission and Friends and Family of B. F. White, 1984.

Revised 6-25-1984

2. CALLAWAY GARDENS
 
Location: U. S. Highway 27, Callaway Gardens Information Center
Marker Dedication or Erection Date:  May 20, 1982
SIDE 1: 
Callaway Gardens was founded in 1952 by Cason Callaway, Sr. and his wife Virginia Callaway, for the purpose of preserving the native flora of the southern United Sates in a natural setting for the public to enjoy. At one time, this area was marginal farm land, depleted of its natural beauty and vegetation by overuse. The Callaways rebuilt this land into 2,500 acres of trees, shrubs and flowering plants.

Erected by the Historic Chattahoochee Commission and the Ida Cason Callaway Foundation, 1980.

SIDE 2:  CALLAWAY GARDENS
Callaway Gardens is owned and operated by a non-profit organization, the Ida Cason Callaway Foundation, which is dedicated to horticulture, charity, religion, education and science. The Gardens are cared for and strengthened each year for the benefit and gratification of todays generations and generations to come. This property symbolized the past, the present, and the future of this regions landscape.

Erected by the Historic Chattahoochee Commission and the Ida Cason Callaway Foundation, 1980.

3. CAMP McKENZIE
 
Location: Callaway Woods Subdivision, Whitesville Road, North of Columbus
Marker Dedication or Erection Date:  October 5, 2001
SIDE 1: 
On this site was Camp McKenzie, a 350 acre tract used for approximately 75 years as the official campsite for the local councils of the Boy Scouts of America. Under the leadership of W. W. McKenzie and Fred H. Schomburg, together with J. Homer Dimon, Jas. B. Key, Dan Joseph, J. Dupont Kirven, H. B. Crowell and J. A. Thomas, Camp McKenzie was incorporated in March 1921, Through the efforts of Frank G. Lumpkin Sr., Sidney Colquitt and many others, funds were raised to purchase the acreage and construct facilities.

Erected by the Ole Scouts of Camp McKenzie and the Historic Chattahoochee Commission, 1999.

SIDE 2:  CAMP McKENZIE
In 1965 a group led by Cason J. Callaway, Jr., donated an additional and adjacent 320-acre tract to the Chattahoochee Council. The new area was named Camp Callaway. In 1955, the Council signed an agreement with the U.S. Army Corps of Engineers for 900 acres of land on the West Point Lake and camping facilities have been moved to that location. This marker is erected to honor those men who had the foresight and the will to make Camp McKenzie and Camp Callaway possible for the thousands of boys who learned to love them both and who will forever hold fond memories of their experiences here. Erected by the Ole Scouts of Camp McKenzie and the Historic Chattahoochee Commission, 1999.

4. CHIPLEY-PINE MOUNTAIN, GEORGIA
 
Location: Commerce Avenue, Pine Mountain, Georgia.
Marker Dedication or Erection Date:  May 20, 1982
Marker Text: 
Chipley was incorporated on December 9, 1882, following the extension of the Columbus and Rome Railroad one mile north of the Village of Hood. Old Hood was the predecessor of Chipley. Chipley was named after Colonel W. D. Chipley, a partner in the promotion of the railroad. The name was changed to Pine Mountain of February 19, 1958, after publicity generated by nearby Callaway Gardens established the location of this vacation resort at Pine Mountain.

Erected by the Historic Chattahoochee Commission, 1980.

5. HAMILTON FEMALE COLLEGE
 
Location: Located on College Street in Hamilton, Georgia
Marker Dedication or Erection Date:  October 19, 2002
Marker Text: 
The Hamilton Female College was chartered in 1853 in southern Harris County. It was located on what was known as College Hill. Asbury Johnston and Stephen A. Borders donated the property for the college. The Hamilton Female College was the first chartered school in Harris County. Before 1853, Georgias General Assembly had refused to permit the beginning of female academies. Education was mainly for males. Seventeen years later, in 1870, the school burned.

Erected by the Historic Chattahoochee Commission and Mrs. ONeals Odyssey Class, Mulberry Creek Elementary School 2002.

6. MOUNTAIN HILL DISTRICT CONSOLIDATED SCHOOL
 
Location: 47 Mountain Hill Road at Georgia Highway 219, Near Hamilton, Georgia
Marker Dedication or Erection Date:  November 8, 2002
SIDE 1: 
This handsome Colonial Revival structure, completed in 1930, served the educational needs of children in the western half of Harris County from 1930 through 1989. The building, which consolidated several one-and-two-room schools, was designed by the Atlanta architectural firm Lockwood and Poundstone. Incorporating state-of-the-art features including central hear, indoor plumbing and electricity, the school building provided students with amenities unknown in most of their home. Funding for construction of the school came primarily from the local community through a bond issue in the amount of $60,000.

Erected by the Mountain Hill Schoolhouse Foundation, Inc. and the Historic Chattahoochee Commission, 2000.

SIDE 2:  MOUNTAIN HILL DISTRICT CONSOLIDATED SCHOOL
The school had 9 classrooms and a 436-seat auditorium to serve both elementary and high school students. In this auditorium Chet Atkins, member of Country Music Hall of Fame and a student at Mountain Hill School during the 1930s perfected his distinctive guitar style. The Mountain Hill Schoolhouse Foundation, Inc., formed to save the school building from demolition, has been instrumental in restoring the building as a community center. The building is owned by Harris County.

Erected by the Mountain Hill Schoolhouse Foundation, Inc. and the Historic Chattahoochee Commission, 2000.

7. SUNNYSIDE SCHOOL, MIDWAY BAPTIST CHURCH AND MIDWAY CEMETERY HISTORIC DISTRICT
 
Location: Hopewell Church Road at Sunnyside Church Road, West of Pine Mountain, Georgia
Marker Dedication or Erection Date:  2000
Marker Text: 
The community buildings and spaces in the Sunnyside/Midway Historic District reflect rural Harris County in the 1920s. Sunnyside School was built by local residents in 1921 to consolidate several one-room schools. It was used as an elementary and high school until the 1940s. It served as clubhouse for the Home Demonstration Club and now houses the Sunnyside Community Club. Midway Baptist Church was founded in 1921 and met in the school until the church was completed in 1925. These buildings have been in continuous use since their construction.

Erected by the Historic Chattahoochee Commission, Midway Baptist Church and Sunnyside Community Club, 2000.

8. VALLEY OF HOPE
 
Location: 13159 Georgia Highway 116, Pine Mountain Valley, Georgia
Marker Dedication or Erection Date:  October 19, 2002
Marker Text: 
Pine Mountain Valley, Georgia was begun in November 1934 under the administration of Franklin D. Roosevelt and his New Deal plan. It was conceived as a pilot community relief project to provide an escape from the effects of the Great Depression. Situated on this land was the administration building for the coordination of the Pine Mountain Valley Development Project. Victims of the Great Depression were resettled here in an effort to develop a sense of security, while providing facilities to produce and opportunities to supplement their income through agricultural and industrial activities.

Erected by the Historic Chattahoochee Commission and Mrs. ONeals Odyssey Class Mulberry Creek Elementary School, 2002

9. WHITESVILLE METHODIST EPISCOPAL CHURCH, SOUTH
 
Location: Pine Lake Road in Whitesville, Georgia
Marker Dedication or Erection Date:  October 13, 2002
SIDE 1: 
The Methodist church in Whitesville had its origins about 1828 in meetings held at the home of Reuben Mobley. The First Methodist Church was founded in the early 1830s and by 1837 the decision was made to erect a church for the growing congregation on land donated by a trustee. The first church was used until 1854, when the current building was completed. This was the early church of Rev. William Jackson Callahan, a 1891 Emory graduate who was a missionary in Japan. Rev. Charles L. Allen, later pastor of Grace Methodist Church in Atlanta and well-known author, preached his first sermon here. The Whitesville Methodist Church has been actively in use as a Methodist church since its dedication.

Erected by the Historic Chattahoochee Commission and Whitesville United Methodist Church, 2002

SIDE 2:  WHITESVILLE METHODIST CHURCH CEMETERY
The adjacent cemetery predates the church building. It has several types of burial markings from the earliest stacked stone and brick graves to metal mail-ordered grave markers. There are numerous family plots defined by retaining walls, copings and iron fencing. Many graves are unmarked as uninscribed field stone markers were inadvertently removed. The earliest burial date on a marker is 1844 for Reuben Mobley, one of the church founders.

Erected by the Historic Chattahoochee Commission and Whitesville United Methodist Church 2002.

 «Tours»   «Calendar»   «Folklife Project»   «Lodging/Food»   «Resources»   «Contact/About»   «Store»   «Home»   «Text Version» 
Subsection:   [Main]  [Alabama]  [Georgia]  [Historic Marker Guidelines
Troup County, GA Chambers County, AL Lee County, AL Russell County, AL Barbour County, AL Henry County, AL Dale County, AL Houston County, AL Harris County, GA Muscogee County, GA Chattahoochee County, GA Stewart County, GA Quitman County, GA Randolph County, GA Early County, GA Seminole County, GA Decatur County, GA Clay County, GA