Historic Chattahoochee Commission.
search»  Site Search link. site index»  Site Index link. home»  Link to home page.
HCC graphic. Historic Markers » Georgia HCC graphic.

Click on the county below you wish to view.
Small map of Chattahoochee Trace counties.
Chattahoochee County, Georgia»
1. CHATTAHOOCHEE COUNTY JAIL
 
Location: Mt. Olive & Boyd Street in Cusseta, Georgia.
Marker Dedication or Erection Date:  September 14, 2002
SIDE 1: 
Constructed in 1902, this two-story fireproof facility was built to replace the previous two-story log jail. The Pauly Jail and Manufacturing Company of St. Louis, Missouri constructed the jail for $5,000. Romanesque influences such as the arched windows and door openings with an extended central bay enhance the exterior appearance of the building. The original prefabricated iron cells, with unique corner fireplaces, are located on the second floor. The jail served the county until 1975. It was placed on the National Register of HistoricPlaces on March 13, 1986.

Erected by the Historic Chattahoochee Commission and the Chattahoochee County Historic Preservation Society 2002.

SIDE 2:  CHATTAHOOCHEE COUNTY JAIL
This jail is situated on property that was purchased soon after the county was created on February 13, 1854. Mr. Asbury Bryan was paid $1,250 for the original two-story log jail that was completed by July 20, 1855, under the supervision of Sheriff Silas Brown. The dimensions of the log structure were eighteen by twenty-two feet with fifteen inches separating the double walls. The jail was used continuously until the new facility was completed in 1902. At that time LaFayette Harp served as sheriff.

Erected by the Historic Chattahoochee Commission and the Chattahoochee County Historic Preservation Society 2002.

2. DWIGHT DAVID EISENHOWER
 
Location: Located at Austin Loop and Vibbert Avenue, Fort Benning, Georgia
Marker Dedication or Erection Date:  April 20, 1990
SIDE 1: 
October 14, 1890-March 28, 1969

The 34th President of the United States, Dwight D. Eisenhower, lived with his family at 206 Austin Loop, while stationed at Fort Benning as a major from 1926-1927. During that time, he served as executive office of the 24th Infantry and commanded the 2nd Battalion. He also coached the Fort Benning Doughboy football team to an all-Army championship. Dwight D. Eisenhower was born to Ida and David Eisenhower in Denison Texas on October 14, 1890. In 1891, he and his family moved to Abilene, Kansas. He was assigned to Fort Sam Houston, Texas, where he met and married Mamie Geneva Doud in 1916.

Erected by the AUSA and the Historic Chattahoochee Commission, 1990.

SIDE 2:  DWIGHT DAVID EISENHOWER
October 14, 1890-March 28, 1969

By 1918, Eisenhower was a lieutenant colonel battalion commander, but two years later as a captain, in a small peace-time Army, he nearly go out when not selected to attend the Infantry Officer's Course. He did attend Command and General Staff School, and was first in his class. During WWII, he commanded the Allied invasion of North Africa, the Italian Campaign, and all Allied expeditionary forces during the June 6, 1944 Normandy Invasion. After the war, he served as Chief of Staff of the Army and Supreme Commander of NATO. He was inaugurated as President in 1953, and served two terms. He died in Walter Reed Army Medical Center, March 28, 1969.

Erected by the AUSA and the Historic Chattahoochee Commission, 1990.

3. FORT BENNING/FORT BENNING MILITARY RESERVATION
 
Location: In front of the VIP Headquarters, Richardson Circle, Fort Benning, Georgia.
Marker Dedication or Erection Date:  March 31, 1982
SIDE 1:  FORT BENNING
Kasihta or Cusseta Town, an important Creek Nation market, played a part in American Revolutionary affairs. In 1780 British Colonel John Tate recruited a large force of local Indians for duty with the British in their defense of Augusta, Georgia. Colonel Tate became ill during the march to Augusta; was returned to Kasihta; died, and was buried on what is now the Fort Benning Military Reservation.

Erected by the Historic Chattahoochee Commission, 1980.

SIDE 2:  FORT BENNING MILITARY RESERVATION
Established following World War One, this post occupies former Indian lands sold during the Georgia Land Lottery of 1827. John Woolfolk consolidated small land holdings in 1843. Benjamin Hatcher acquired the property in 1883. Arthur Bussey purchased the plantation in 1907, selling it to the Federal Government in 1919. Benning now occupies some 180,000 acres in Georgia and Alabama, most of which are in Chattahoochee County.

Erected by the Historic Chattahoochee Commission, 1980.

4. FORT BENNING-STATION HOSPITAL/NATIONAL INFANTRY MUSEUM
 
Location: In front of the National Infantry Museum, Baltzell Avenue, Fort Benning, Georgia.
Marker Dedication or Erection Date:  March 31, 1982
SIDE 1:  FORT BENNING-STATION HOSPITAL
In 1923, the U.S. Congress appropriated funds for the erection of a hospital at Fort Benning. The hospital complex, consisting of ten buildings, was opened in 1925. During World War Two as many as 36, 000 wounded per year received care at this facility. In 1951, during the Korean War, 25, 000 casualties were treated. Following the 1958 opening of a new hospital this complex served as and outpatient clinic until 1975 when the main building was designated the permanent home of the National Infantry Museum.

Erected by the Historic Chattahoochee Commission, 1980

SIDE 2:  NATIONAL INFANTRY MUSEUM
The National Infantry Museum was established here at the U.S. Army's Infantry Center in October 1959. The purpose of the Museum is to honor the infantryman and his more that two centuries of proud service to the nation. The Museum also reflects the history of Fort Benning which was established October 1918. The collection is comprised of weapons, uniforms and accouterments used by the U.S. infantrymen is each of our military engagements. Foreign artifacts as well as military related objects of art are also on display. The Doughboy - Dog Faced Soldier – Infantryman. The Museum is dedicated to his honor.

Erected by the Historic Chattahoochee Commission, 1980

5. THE INFANTRY BOARD
 
Location: In front of Building 76, Anderson Street, Fort Benning, Georgia.
Marker Dedication or Erection Date:  January 1, 1991
SIDE 1: 
On 15 December 1919, War Department Orders established the Infantry Board as a development and testing laboratory with permanent station at Fort Benning, Georgia. The Board's mission was to consider, with continuity of effort the improvement of the Infantry. The history of the Infantry Board has been coincident with that of the Infantry Center and Fort Benning, "The Home of the Infantry".

Erected by the Historic Chattahoochee Commission and Fort Benning Infantry Board, 1991.

SIDE 2:  THE INFANTRY BOARD
From its very beginning, the Infantry Board was concerned with everything the Infantry Soldier used. Whether he shot it, rode in it, slept in it, ate it, wore it, or used it to accomplish his tactical missions, the Infantryman operating under combat conditions used products that had been tested by the Infantry Board. In consonance with its mission, the Infantry Board's motto was "ONLY THE BEST FOR THE FINEST!" From 1946 to 1991 the Infantry Board was headquartered in Building 76, on Anderson Street. The Infantry Board was discontinued effective 23 March 1991.

Erected by the Historic Chattahoochee Commission and Fort Benning Infantry Board, 1991.

6. THE INFANTRY BOARD
 
Location: In front of Building 76, Anderson Street, Fort Benning, Georgia.
Marker Dedication or Erection Date:  1991
SIDE 1: 
On 15 December 1919, War Department Orders established the Infantry Board as a development and testing laboratory with permanent station at Fort Benning, Georgia. The Board's mission was to consider, with continuity of effort the improvement of the Infantry. The history of the Infantry Board has been coincident with that of the Infantry Center and Fort Benning, "The Home of the Infantry".

Erected by the Historic Chattahoochee Commission and Fort Benning Infantry Board, 1991.

SIDE 2:  THE INFANTRY BOARD
From its very beginning, the Infantry Board was concerned with everything the Infantry Soldier used. Whether he shot it, rode in it, slept in it, ate it, wore it, or used it to accomplish his tactical missions, the Infantryman operating under combat conditions used products that had been tested by the Infantry Board. In consonance with its mission, the Infantry Board's motto was "ONLY THE BEST FOR THE FINEST!" From 1946 to 1991 the Infantry Board was headquartered in Building 76, on Anderson Street. The Infantry Board was discontinued effective 23 March 1991.

Erected by the Historic Chattahoochee Commission and Fort Benning Infantry Board, 1991.

 «Tours»   «Calendar»   «Folklife Project»   «Lodging/Food»   «Resources»   «Contact/About»   «Store»   «Home»   «Text Version» 
Subsection:   [Main]  [Alabama]  [Georgia]  [Historic Marker Guidelines
Troup County, GA Chambers County, AL Lee County, AL Russell County, AL Barbour County, AL Henry County, AL Dale County, AL Houston County, AL Harris County, GA Muscogee County, GA Chattahoochee County, GA Stewart County, GA Quitman County, GA Randolph County, GA Early County, GA Seminole County, GA Decatur County, GA Clay County, GA