Please note that all facility services may not be represented or completely accurate; however, all amenities have been listed to the best knowledge of the Historic Chattahoochee Commission as provided by the U.S. Corps of Engineers. Each governing lake area did not provide the same criteria; therefore, amenities which may not be listed may actually be available. It is recommended to confirm services through the main website for the governing lake headquarters or individual locations.
P.O. Box 96
Chattahoochee, FL 32324
Phone: 229-662-2001 or 229-662-2814
In a rural setting, the lake features rugged ravines, cypress ponds, limesinks and hardwood and pine forests. Nationally known for its largemouth bass and wide variety of plant and animal life, this lake offers very good birdwatching. From Tallahassee, FL, 42 miles W on US 90 to Chattahoochee, FL, 1 mile N to dam. The area now called Lake Seminole has been occupied and used by man for at least 10,000 years. Ancient Native Americans once exploited the regions abundant natural resources. Later native peoples developed highly complex societies based on corn agriculture. They survived well into the period of the European colonization until their eventual decline and removal from the area. Lake Seminole was named for the last surviving Native Americans who were pushed into Central Florida by American militia under Andrew Jackson after 1825. Interpretive media at the Lake Seminole Visitor Center located at the Resource Management Office provide more information on the physical, biological and cultural characteristics of the project area. Lake Seminole borders both Georgia and Florida and has 37,500 acres of water and over 18,000 acres of surrounding land. Extending up the Chattahoochee River 30 miles and up the Flint River 35 miles, Lake Seminole has 376 miles of shoreline.